Tuesday, November 8, 2011

vegetarianism?

for the past few years of my life i have thought that someday I'm going to become a vegetarian. (shh dont tell my dad.) Coming from a meat and potatoes kind of family i suppose it is kind of surprising that i want this. However, i do in fact want it. (Mostly because i feel bad about all the ways the poor animals I'm consuming are treated.) So anyways, since I'm bored and don't feel like doing any other homework I've decided to create a comparison between the pros and cons of vegetarianism. Starting with the pros..

To begin with if i became a vegetarian one really good thing would be that i wouldn't be eating animals anymore. Animals that are mistreated and murdered just so i can eat a cheeseburger. (super depressing when you think about it.) Another great thing is that i could get sit all high and mighty with my strictly vegetable diet and give people who are mowing down on a steak very dirty looks (dont try to deny it all vegetarians do it.) Another good thing about being a vegetarian is that i would be healthier. Generally plants and other delicious green things don't contain any source of fat or other gross things that could pack on the pounds. Oh, another good thing is that i wouldn't have to worry about parasites and other disgusting worms crawling around in your body from sushi and other gross foods. (take that mad cows disease.) I get to avoid osteoporosis, kidney stones, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, gum disease, and acne. Above all since vegetarianism is a pretty hot topic right now and kind of trendy there are a lot of easy substitutes that you can find if you have the time and resources. 

Moving on to the cons. The obvious one is that i wouldn't be able to eat meat anymore. (although i have been saying it makes me sad most of the time because i'm eating animals i would still miss food like bacon, and steak, and hamburgers.) These are just too good how could i not miss them? Becoming a vegetarian also means i would need to be motivated to do so, although there are a lot of easy substitutes (even at UW-Stout) they may not always be appealing. And i would have to make myself not give in to the smell of bacon and burgers (yum/ew) so conflicting. Some people say when you cut out meat from your diet your likely to have a lot less protein. This means for most vegetarians it is essential to take vitamins and other supplements to make sure they stay at the peak of their health. In addition, most people who go vegetarian dont plan out their diet very well and end up just eating junk food that isn't really good for them at all. This can lead to weight gain and eventually giving up on vegetarianism because 'there isn't enough to eat.' 

Taking all these into consideration i dont think i'm ready to make this life changing decision yet but i think someday i'll at least try. just for the heck of it. 

4 comments:

  1. I often cut meat out of my diet for a short time and have even ate a raw diet before. I also usually do not take additional nutritional supplements.

    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=158

    Spark people provides great resources on how to get your proteins and other nutrients from food items that you are probably eating but don't even know.

    I personally don't eat raw, vegan, or vegetarian because I feel bad for animals as you do however, I do know that my experience in eating raw eliminated my migraines and depression for the time period that I was eating raw.

    One further consideration is the cost - As long as you plan wisely and are willing to get groceries 2-3 times a week then your produce won't spoil before you have a chance to eat it resulting in less waste.

    Also, if becoming a vegetarian is a decision that you make - set yourself up to succeed by bring something that you think is just as delicious as that burger or brat on the grill so that you aren't even tempted to take the first bite. From experience it all just goes down hill from the first bite. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me just say, I think it's completely respectable for you to go for this goal of yours, and I hope that you can continue on this path. Switching from eating meat to strictly eating vegetarian is going to be a difficult thing, especially at school. Even though Stout may have options for those wanting to eat vegetarianism, I still believe the constant rembrance of having to do would be quite difficult for me.

    Not sure if you've ever seen it, but I think you should check out the documentary, Food Inc. I think you'd find a lot of things that will make switching to this lifestyle a much easier, and more understandable process. I don't agree with the ways they get us our meats, but I guess I've never thought too much about not eating meat anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also seen Food Inc. and this is a movie you will not want to miss, especially with your decision of becoming a vegetarian. I give you a lot credit for being able to do this; it's not going to be easy. Food Inc. provides an unflattering look inside America's corporate controlled food industry. They visit several different farms where their workers will not let the camera crews inside, so you can only imagine why. You will find lots of interesting information throughout this video and the producers interview a variety of people who have been trying to improve our countries department of agriculture.

    Here is a link: http://www.foodincmovie.com/

    ReplyDelete