Monday, October 17, 2011

Can I get a PIN?

has anyone ever lost a really important password? Like the password to your computer or a website you hardly check but is still maddeningly important? Thats what I did tonight, well actually it was my mom, yeah I'm going to blame it on her. I'm a teenager, nothing is my fault yet. Anyway, so there is this silly little process getting in the way of my paying for college. And that silly something is affectionately referred to as 'loan counseling' cant you hear the angels singing? No, good cause I can't either. For those who are involved with FAFSA and are receiving loans that will sooner rather than later bury you in the ground you know what I'm talking about. For those of you who don't know loan counseling is the schools way of informing us that sooner rather than later we will get buried under a pile of bills, and then we get to answer questions based on that fun fact, yay! Not really, so anyway since our full school payment is due in around two days I decided i better get my butt in gear and do some fun loan counseling so I don't end up an educationless hobo. So I get to this site and I click the giant neon green SIGN IN button and go about my business. Until that is, I get to this lovely little box that says 'PIN.' Now usually this wouldn't pose a problem if I knew the PIN number in which this little box wanted. Unfortunately, I didn't know this "PIN" and thats where my problems began.

So naturally I called my mother and was like "yo, what be my pin?" and of course she was like "oh sweet child your pin is etc etc etc." But who are we kidding? My mom knew the pin just as well as I know where I leave my cell phone every morning (good thing my roommate always tells me where it is.) Not to be deterred I was like "no big deal mom" and I click this helpful looking 'recover pin' button and go on my merry way. Little did I know I just ejected myself into a chaotic mess of numbers, dates, questions, and the stupidity of forgetting a pin. First I tried to reapply for my pin and that didn't work because of some silly security question (yelling MY MOTHERS MAIDEN NAME IS JAR@#$@SKI at the computer for five minutes didn't help.) So I decided to try something new, aha I said to myself all excited, i clicked the 'apply for a new pin' button like I'm some sort of genius. So I type in my information and click submit and this stupid error message comes up saying that I've already entered that information and they have a pin on record for me. So I click next and get to the same security question, not helpful. At this point in my conversation with my mom I'm swearing left and right and I'm pretty sure if she was next to me I'd have a bar of soap in my mouth. My dad is yelling because he's watching a TV show and he wants to unpause it. My mom is yelling because he's yelling and I think I heard my dogs bark in there somewhere. My life has unfolded into chaos over a four digit number. So I take a calming breath and release my mother from her pin hunting duties say goodnight to my raging father and return to the quest all by myself. I go in to apply for a new pin again and this time I don't request the PIN I want and let fate spin out of control and push submit. After that I get an email notifying me where my PIN is (answer a security question correctly) and get my PIN! Excitedly I go back to where I insert my PIN to successfully complete my loan counseling so I insert all the information and wait for the page to load... but the only thing I get is something saying my PIN is not yet verified and to come back in 48-72 hours. I hate PINs... 

2 comments:

  1. haha, ive done that so many times. I dont call my mom though because i have all the information... I too hate PINs, but I also hate banks because of overdraft fees. Maybe I hate inconvenience?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only remember my pin because I made it a number that I could ever forget - And if I did forget it would be because I had Alzheimer's and then I wouldn't need my pin because why would I care about my student loans then - I probably wouldn't even remember I had been a student at that point.

    I hope you got your pin situation figured out and your loan counseling wasn't too awful (Although it is loan counseling so I'm not sure how great it could be.)

    ReplyDelete